Friday, January 12, 2007

Very sad news...

I write this post with a heavy heart, having just received some very sad news. My sister Samantha called to tell me that our Greataunt Dorothy just passed away. She was my mother's Aunt (my mom's father's younger sister). She was only around 72 yrs old, and still lived in Barnsley, England, where my mom is from. Since she was divorced and never had her own children, my mom was the contact named in her will. We have no details yet - apparently my mom was just contacted by a stranger with the news of her death, and so my mom replied and is waiting to know more.

I did not know my Greataunt Dorothy in person. However, she never forgot to send us a birthday card, and I'm thankful I kept in touch just a little with the occasional note or card. Of course, I now wish I had done more. I am very glad she should have received our Christmas letter and photo of her only great-great-grandniece, Katy, before she passed away. During our visit to Florida in Dec to see Katy's Greataunt Karalee and Greatuncle Dick on Benji's side of the family, we had been looking at the Tittle family tree, which Karalee has spent alot of time and effort on to pull together. It reminded me that I would love to do and have the same for my side of the family, to be able to pass on to Katy one day. So I had mentioned that I really should try to contact my Greataunt Dorothy, because she was the only person I know of that might be able to fill in some of the blanks on my mom's side of our family. Regrettably, I now will not get that chance. It is amazing how sad one can feel about somebody I never got the pleasure of meeting, but was family.

I wish I had a picture of her to post. I will be in Canada next week, so if I'm able to find any, I'll have to scan one so I can put it up here in memory of a very kind & thoughtful woman. Looking forward to the day that we will finally get to meet her in person.

No comments: