Thursday, January 4, 2007

Stay-at-home mom

I am so appreciative of this time I have staying home with Katy. I now know I won't be returning to my old position. My boss had brought in a new doctor to cover for me while I was away on disability to have Katy, which here in California gives you 4 wks before birth and 6 wks afterwards. Then you can take an additional 6 wks using what's called Family Leave. However, very small businesses, such as the chiropractic office I was at, who only have a couple of employees, do not have to hold your job while you are taking this leave. So... the new doc wants to continue FT, rather than job share, so that leaves me out of a position there. Which we are OK with, as I love having this time with my baby girl. I have been able to cover for Dr. Peter Fysh when he has been on vacation. I just see a few people here and there who need care while he is out of town. And another doctor in Los Altos, where I worked previously, also has some days where she'll need coverage. So that gives me an opportunity to see adults and keep up my skills, but still have alot of time at home with Katy. I'm also in the process of applying for unemployment, so hopefully if I'm approved that will help out a little until I find something more regular.

Yesterday, Katy and I went to the movies! Twice a month a local theatre has a "mommy-and-me" showing at 12:30pm (at the Pruneyard for those of you who are local). They keep some lights on, and there is parking for strollers... lol. So you can take your baby in, and noone glares at you if she fusses or you need to feed her, etc. They showed "Dreamgirls" yesterday, which was good!

No comments: